EV Battery Project Manager at MRL of ITRITaiwan
Born in 1955 in Taichung City, Taiwan
Staff Editor: Please tell us something about your career and when and where you got involved with LEVs.
BML: Graduated from Chung Yuan University, majored in mechanical engineering
- Joined MIRL of ITRI in 1982 as a mechanical engineer worked on two-stroke engine test and development
- Developed the first fuel injection two-stroke engine
and scooter in 1988 which was ended up because exhaust catalyst proved to be cheaper and more reliable in reducing exhaust emission
- Started up Taiwan Common Engine Project as a project manager in 1990 and then promoted to be manager of Motorcycle Technology Department and began the career in electric scooter
- Developed electric scooter from 1992 to 1995 and came up with prototype ZES 2000 to respond to government’s 2% electric scooter mandate in 2000
- Participated in Electric Scooter Demonstration Project sponsored by EPA from 1997 to 1999 which was to build 150 re-engineering ZES 2000 to be fleet tested
- Helped EPA to set up test procedures to certify the qualification of e-scooter to be subsidized
- Participated in e-scooter Battery SWAP Demonstration Project sponsored by IDB in 1998
- Participated in e-scooter Quick Charge Demonstration Project sponsored by EPA in 2000
- Joined MRL of ITRI in 2002 worked on lithium-ion battery application research
- Manager of EV Battery Project since 2004, participating in “Medium to Large Scale Lithium-ion Battery Development Project” sponsored by BOE of MOEA and “High Efficiency Electric Vehicle Promotion Project” sponsored by IDB of MOEA
SE: What is your personal motivation to work in LEVs?
MBL: Do right thing, a way of no return—this is my career, the most important thing I can be proud of.
ITRI - Material and Chemical Research Laboratories, Industrial Technology
195 Chung Hsing Rd,. Sec. 4 ChuTung
Languages: Mandarin, Taiwanese and English
Last updated: March 18, 2007