Electrically assisted cargo bikes are a hot trend in the cycling industry. Both demand and the range of new models on the market are developing rapidly.
ExtraEnergy will put this sector of the pedelec market under the microscope in April with Europe’s most comprehensive cargo pedelec test to date.
DEADLINES FOR SPRING 2016 TEST
→ by 6th April
Delivery of pedelecs and e-bikes
→ by 20th April
Delivery of cargo bikes
→ by 11th April
Riding tests, including off-road and ergonomics tests, followed by cargo bike ride testing
→ by 21st April
Registration for re-publication
When cargo pedelec test: 21 - 29 April, 2016
Get up to 15% discount for early registration!
ExtraEnergy has been testing pedelecs and e-bikes since 1992 in Tanna, Germany. Each year ExtraEnergy carries out Spring and Autumn Tests, each with up to 40 bikes, and these tests are recognised internationally as authoritative benchmarks.
Objectives of the Special Cargo Pedelec Test
- To give an informed market overview both for industry specialists and end users.
- To raise product awareness through high-impact media partnerships.
- To support the further product optimisation by means of the test results, which will be intensively discussed with manufacturers before publication.
The test bikes will be divided into two application categories (child transport and business use) as well as into four vehicle categories: single track, with or without extended wheelbase; multi-track; and heavy transport for payloads over 100 kg.
The test will run under real world conditions at the well-proven ExtraEnergy test circuit in Tanna, which was also used for the first cargo pedelec test in Autumn 2013. ExtraEnergy’s unique and specially-developed measurement technology will gather data during the test rides to determine key metrics including range, power assist levels and drive efficiency.
In a separate Ergonomics Test the everyday usability and intuitive operation of the bikes and their add-ons for child-carrying or business use will be evaluated.
The concept, implementation and media work for this special test will be supported by cargo bike experts Wasilis von Rauch (e-Rad Hafen
) and Arne Behrensen (cargobike.jetzt
) who led the pioneering project „Lasten auf die Räder!
“ (Cargo onto Bikes!). There will also be a visitor's day when test participants, experts and media partners will be invited to Tanna for information exchange and networking.
Test results for consumers will be published by ExtraEnergy's permanent media partner, the German e-bike magazine Special-E
. Complete test results will be published in German, English and Chinese in the ExtraEnergy Test Magazine
. The special e-cargobike test will also be covered by journalists writing for magazines for parents, as well as trade magazines for trades people and logistics operators.
Costs for test participation
- 3450 Euro for one test bike, 2900 Euro for small manufacturers (up to 10 staff)
- 950 Euro for re-publication of a bike which has already been tested, or for a second cargo module version of a test bike
- 15% “Super Early Bird” discount for registration up to the 31 January 2016
- 10% “Early Bird” discount for registration up to the 29 February 2016
- Binding registration from now on
- Closing date for registration and deadline for delivery of bikes: 20 April, 2016
- Testing: 21 to 29 April, 2016
- Trade Day for trade visitors, journalists, and for manufacturer discussions: 27, 28 or 29 April, 2016 (tbc)
- Presentation of test winners at the ExtraEnergy exhibition space at EUROBIKE in Friedrichshafen, Germany (31 Aug. to 4 Sept., 2016) and on ExtraEnergy test parcours at major German bike and e-mobility events
ExtraEnergy Test GmbH
Hannes Neupert and Uwe Keilhauer
Koskauer Str. 100
07922 Tanna - Germany
Tel. +49 36646-3298-0
Fax. +49 36646 27095
Contacts cargo pedelecs
Wasilis von Rauch
Copy: ExtraEnergy Test GmbH, Arne Behrensen, Wasilis von Rauch
Picture: Urban Arrow
Translation: Peter Eland
Online publication: Angela Budde
16 November 2015
Last update: 20 January 2016