EnergyBus Infrastructure World impresses EU Commissioner. For the 2015 International Motor Show (IAA) ExtraEnergy organised multiple test tracks for pedelecs, e-bikes, e-scooters and smart balancing vehicles.
These test tracks, offering a huge variety of electromobility concepts to try out, were quite simply mobbed by visitors to the International Motor Show. Meanwhile, the EnergyBus display on harmonised infrastructure was the focus of attention for Violeta Bulc, EU Commissioner for Transport.
>> Photo collection (flickr)
Every conceivable type of mobility solution was on display across the 18,000 square metres of the ‘New Mobility World’ area at the 66th International Motor Show (IAA 2015) from the 17th to 27th September 2015. Running alongside the ExtraEnergy LEV Components Special Exhibition and a special exhibition on standardised infrastructure for the future, New Mobility World was the perfect platform to showcase the possibilities for electric mobility, especially on two wheels. During the show, the stage area hosted high impact presentations on pedelec innovations by Hannes Neupert (Chairman, ExtraEnergy e.V.) and Sascha Nachtnebel (MD, greenfinder.de).
Approx 30,000 test rides
New for this show was online registration at the ExtraEnergy check-in stand, enabling exhibitors to capture accurate statistics on test track users.
The ExtraEnergy test tracks had a remarkable, almost magnetic attraction for visitors. On each of the weekends alone, over 2000 enthusiastic test riders signed up.
Over 40 % of all test riders favoured off-road pedelecs. Almost 90 % of all registered users were male, and 93% of all test riders across both ExtraEnergy test tracks originated from Germany. The remaining 7 % came from the Netherlands, France, Austria, the Czech Republic, Belgium, Poland, Denmark and from other parts of Europe.
Overall figures show that 80 % of test riders were under 30 years of age. For most of them this was their first contact with a pedelec.
In total, 9,414 visitors registered for test rides at the ExtraEnergy test tracks. Experience has shown that each user of the test track will, on average, test ride three bikes. So at the 2015 International Motor Show (IAA) there were around 30,000 test rides taken.
An astonishing number of around 50% of test riders wanted to be kept informed after their test rides, and signed up as future readers of the ExtraEnergy Newsletter.
This was another excellent demonstration that the combination of test rides and making information available delivers the greatest possible impact to popularise pedelecs. This is what ExtraEnergy has been working on continuously for over 23 years.
Harmonisation of Light EV infrastructure
Violeta Bulc, EU Commissioner for Transport, learned all about harmonisation of charging infrastructure under the framework of EU Mandate 468 (2010), and she spoke to Hannes Neupert (Executive Director, EnergyBus e.V.). Before leaving she tweeted a photo of her visit to the stand with the text: “We need to integrate different means of transport. Data & electrification are key enablers.”
Michael Hecken (MD for Operations, HNF GmbH), manufacturer of the HNF concept vehicle using EnergyBus Tube and EnergyBus Lock technologies, and an exhibitor in the ‘EnergyBus Infrastructure World’ area, commented: “It’s fundamental that unified standards are put in place. There have already been some proposals, but the implementation is simply not sufficiently urgent. I believe that investment on a completely different order of magnitude is now necessary. In the final analysis it requires political will to establish these standards.”
On the same topic, projects were presented as part of the IEA HEV Task 23 Workshop, and the pros and cons of future milestones in the ongoing global growth of bicycle sharing schemes as part of public transport were explained and discussed.
In conclusion, everything on offer across the indoor and outdoor test track areas was eagerly embraced by visitors to the International Motor Show (IAA 2015).
One thing is certain: interest in pedelecs from the automotive sector will steadily increase. ExtraEnergy has already received invitations to attend further automotive trade shows. The future is multi-modal.>> read the press release
Text: Angela Budde, Josephine Fischer, Hannes Neupert
Picture: Josephine Fischer
8 October 2015